Multicultural Week celebrates students’ cultural and ethnic diversity

Jennifer Bautista, Feature Editor

Nothing brings students and faculty closer together than a week dedicated to celebrating each other’s differences.

Multicultural Week, March 20 to March 24, marked the annual celebration of diversity, that consisted of one week of dress up themes and celebrating different ethnic backgrounds. The week kicked off with Equality Day, on which students wore white t-shirts and and blue jeans. The rest of the week was made up of Rep Your Roots Day, Tacky Tourist Day, School Spirit Day, and finally ending with American Day on Friday.

This year’s rally took place on Thursday instead of its usual Friday spot, because of an American Threads field trip taking place on Friday, March 24.

Each year students form groups and perform unique acts that display their culture. This year’s performances were nothing short of amazing, and even a couple new dances that hadn’t been seen before at Northgate. The rally included 15 acts that consisted of native dances from Afghanistan, India, Nigeria, and Tahiti.

One of the dances, was a dance native to the Afghan culture and typically performed at weddings. Junior Aisha Azizi organized and performed in the rally for the first time this year. The performance didn’t come easy and required much preparation.

“We practiced at least ten times, but the first six times we had a completely different dance,” said Azizi, “but during our seventh practice we changed it up completely.”

Many people wonder if the money throwing was part of the act, and be assured that it was. Azizi said that it is typically done at weddings or when they do group dances.

Another dance that was performed in the rally was a dance from India, which was organized by junior Malvika Doppalapudi. Originally the dance was supposed to be six minutes long, but due to time, was cut down to three minutes.

“We had eight practices total, which definitely paid off,” said Doppalapudi. “The first seven practices were about learning the actual dance and the last one was about getting in sync with one another.”

Both performances went extremely well,  along with many others, and left both students and faculty in awe. The rally is a great way to bring the week to an end and show everyone that even though we have different ethnic backgrounds, when we come together we can create something amazing and memorable.