The play goes on: My next verse

The play goes on: My next verse

Joanna Floyd, Staff Writer

Four years have passed in what feels like the blink of an eye. Preparing for my first day of freshman year I remember strategically planning the routes I’d take to all my classes, so as to avoid the most traffic. Sophomore year I managed to relax, by then accustomed to Northgate’s student brimmed hallways, yet I still found comfort in previewing the path I’d have to follow. As a junior I’d simply glanced at a no longer cryptic map of Northgate, opting out of my path walking preview. Entering senior year, I was giving the tour to my younger sister Hailey, a then incoming freshman.

High school has made me cry, yell and hurt. I’ve lost friends, and I’ve made friends. I’ve learned to appreciate the time and great memories I’ve

made with both parted and current friends alike. That being said, I’ve also laughed, celebrated, and bonded with plenty of people as well. I learned to be my own person, that no one really knows what they’re doing, and of infinite “correct” paths to choose from.

It has been a place for me to live, grow, and learn.From sleepless homework nights, to stressful last minute lunchtime study sessions, to drama, happiness and unforgettable memories.

I am thankful for every experience shaping me into the

person I’ve become.

I know part of me will miss all the people I’ve met, and remain attached to my history at Northgate, but I am excited to choose my next path. My favorite poem, “O Me! O Life!” by Walt Whitman encourages:

The question, O me! so sad, recurring—What good amid these, O me, O life?                 

Answer.

That you are here—that life exists, and identity;   

That the powerful play goes on, and you will contribute a verse.