Meg Honey is MDUSD Teacher of the Year

Safi Hasani

Meg Honey talks with seniors Mark Kassisieh and Thomas Halligan on Feb. 28.

Often times, outstanding work goes unnoticed. That was not the case, however, when last week, a beloved Northgate teacher was named Mt. Diablo Unified District Teacher of the Year.

Meg Honey, AP U.S. History teacher and former Northgate student, is incredibly involved in the community. She is a devoted teacher, mother, wife, and is often described as energetic, vibrant, and dynamic.

This is Honey’s fifth year teaching at Northgate, yet her history with the school dates back over 20 years.

“I am overwhelmed and I am incredibly honored. I am humbled because there are such extraordinary teachers on this campus and district wide, so to be recognized in this way is a lovely honor,” Honey said, when asked what this award means to her personally. “I stand with giants.”

News of the award traveled quickly on campus. The award is the result of a district-wide process where teachers and community members nominate deserving teachers, administrators, and parents in their respective categories.

Many of Honey’s students are excited about their teacher’s recognition.

Senior Sophia Blake had Honey as a teacher last year. She said, “Mrs. Honey always comes to class prepared and with a positive attitude. She is very passionate about teaching United States history.”

Blake and Casey are not the only people proud of her award. Vice Principal Ben Campopiano, a former classmate of Honey and a former colleague in the social studies department, had some heartwarming words.

“I’m super proud of her. I’ve always known she was one of the best teachers around. It’s inspiring to watch her teach, and it inspired me to be a better teacher.”

When former friends Honey and Campopiano both started teaching at Northgate, they shared a classroom. They both taught history and shared many of the same projects and curriculum.

“She’s so deserving of this award and everyone knows it. The thing about Meg is, she’s a genuinely nice person. She’s so dedicated to Northgate and the community. She’s very loving, generous, and kind,” Campopiano said.

At the school board meeting March 13, Honey will be recognized for her award and at a more formal event in May called the Academy Awards, in which teachers, administrators, parents, and staff are recognized for their outstanding achievements. The Mt. Diablo Education Association organizes the event.

Honey is gracious for this award, but spreads the credit to those who share her classroom. “This is representative of my students and the great work that they’re doing,” she said.

Honey, who also teaches women’s history courses at St. Mary’s College in Moraga, began her years at Northgate as a student. She graduated in 1997 and returned in the early 2000s to coach swim and waterpolo.

“I feel like I’ve always been very connected to this community,” Honey said.