Andrea Smethurst

Seniors Carlie Polkinghorn, Rebecca Proctor, Bryn McGowan, junior Emma Smethurst, and senior Taylor Cossu, seen here before the start of the meet, competed May 19 and 20 in the CIF (California Interscholastic Federation) swim meet.

Strong swim season ends with strong performances from nine swimmers at CIF

June 2, 2017

After a strong season in the new DAL, Northgate’s swim team was ready for NCS on May 12-13, and CIF on May 19-20. Although the new, expanded league proved to be tough competition for Northgate, the Broncos were able to come out on top. “The new league was a lot tougher than our old one and it was fun to swim against all those really fast kids on Campolindo and Miramonte,” senior captain Sebastian Stahl said.

To keep up with those aforementioned powerhouse swim programs the Northgate swim program had to step it up a notch as well, and that including harder training. “The swimming program has been much more rigorous this year in order to keep up with the other teams in our conference and I think that has made us much better as we’ve matched up to the competition,” junior captain Owen Kneafsey said.

A talented team, Northgate was ready to face their opponents. Star junior Alexei Sancov, who won all of his events and barely missed the national high school record. Sancov won the boys 200 freestyle and 500 freestyle and only missed the National record for 200 freestyle by a mere 0.67 seconds.

Along with Sancov’s wins, the boys 200 free relay and 400 free relay team consisting of Sancov, sophomore Connor Seip, sophomore Zach Ledesma, and sophomore Andrew Rodriguez also won their two events and went on to state after beating out San Ramon Valley for the win.

The girl’s 200 relay team of senior Taylor Cossu, senior Bryn McGowan, senior Rebecca Proctor, and junior Emma Smethurst and the 200 medley relay team of Cossu, McGowan, Smethurst, and senior Carlie Polkinghorn also advanced to state as they finished 5th and 6th in the finals.

The team performed very well at state as the boys finished 2nd overall including 1st in their 400 free relay and 2nd in their 200 free relay, and the girls 200 medley relay team broke the Northgate team record.

“I am happy I got to have a fun last season with my teammates and I am really proud of how everyone did in our first year in the more competitive DAL,”  said senior Taylor Cossu.

Athletic director Earle Payton was very excited about the swim team accomplishments. “Boys swim did pretty good, we came second in state, I believe that’s the best ever,” Payton said.

The Sentinel • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Sentinel Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *