Northgate welcomes Kelly Eagan to the administrative family

Thomas Lautenberger, Staff Writer

Among many changes this year on campus is a new face on the administrative team. Kelly Eagan joined the administrative staff as a vice principal in August.

Two key parts of her role are to oversee students with last names beginning with the letter A through G, as well as Northgate’s technology equipment and progress. She joins Vice Principal Rick Aistrope, who sees students with last names from H to O, and Vice Principal Jonathon Fey, who is responsible for student last names P through Z.

Eagan said that she is pleased to be at Northgate and that her first two months have been a positive experience.

“I’m impressed everyday with how well behaved and respectful the kids are here,” Eagan said. “I am constantly blown away by the amazing teaching going on in the classrooms. I could not be happier to be part of this team.”

Her prior experience inludes many years in the classroom.

“I have taught math at both Ygnacio Valley high school and most recently at Alhambra High School. I taught everything from pre-algebra to pre-calculus,” she said.

Her goals for this year include getting to know the students, working with the teachers to know what is going on in the classrooms, and enforcing the dress code.

Something she really wants to see improve is a decrease in the amount of trash at Northgate.

Eagan says that something she likes to see in students is respect and their community. She gets disappointed when she sees students disrespecting each other on social media. Her advice to students is to think before you post anything online.

She encourages students to make use of the clubs in high school, because she personally regretted not joining many clubs in high school.

Eagan is originally from Southern California and comes from a long line of administrators in her family. She went to Chico State and majored in math and liberal studies. She prefers coffee over tea. Her hobbies include reading tennis and sleeping.

“If sleeping was an Olympic event I would get the gold medal,” she said with a laugh.
It’s not likely Eagan will have much time for extra sleep. Not only does Eagan oversee about a third of the students in the school, she also juggles her administrative responsibilities with her family at home.

“I am married with 3 kids (Emma, 8, Jacob, 3, and Kinley, 20 months),” she said. “I have a long haired Chihuahua named Colby and a bearded dragon named Spike.”