Juniors participate in 1920’s themed party final

April 21, 2016

67a3c789-656d-4890-a14a-c58040e66a29
Members of the class face off while dancing in their flapper gear.

If you could travel back in time, which famous American decade would you go to? For the 30 juniors in Amber Lineweaver and Scott Harris’ American Threads class, the 1920’s came to life. American Threads is a class for juniors to fulfill their English and US History requirement while enjoying the perks of having the two classes “threaded” together. Lineweaver and Harris collaborate on lesson plans and projects to make sure the two classes flow together for an even more in-depth experience.

“It was exciting to help put on the first Northgate 1920’s speakeasy with Mr. Harris,” commented Mrs. Lineweaver. “I was afraid our class wouldn’t be up to the challenge, but I was surprised with how everyone stepped up. I was very happy with the result.”

The class planned a party based off of The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald to celebrate the Roaring Twenties and the end of the semester. The students transformed the Northgate Lecture Hall into a 1920’s speakeasy on January 21. The two main door entrances to the Lecture Hall were boarded up and locked so that the only entrance was the hidden door guarded by two bouncers.

“I really had fun. We learned while still getting to experience what it was like during the 20’s with the speakeasies but without the alcohol unfortunately” says Chloe Brooks a junior in American Threads.

d76c3a7c-8b9d-4130-b58c-5768f73585a7
The American Threads class poses for a picture in their own “speakeasy.”

“I really enjoyed the games we played and there was a cute little photo booth in the corner that Mrs. Lineweaver forced us to participate in,” says Brooks. “It was so cool and I hope more people take American Threads next year!”

There were all sorts of decorations covering the walls of the Lecture Hall. The American Threads students formed 5 different committees: Hollywood, In the News, Fashion, Music, and Entertainment. Each committee created a poster representing a Hall of Fame for their topic.

Additionally, each committee had a specific element of the party that they were responsible for to make the party a booming success.

“It was really fun to feel fully immersed in the 20’s, opposed to just taking a test. Coming together as a class to put the speakeasy together let us collaborate and it was really cool to see people get into it and stay in character,”  commented Ally Polonsky.

Polonsky went on, “It will be really interesting to see what they do differently next year. I highly recommend the class.”

2ae1b73a-f810-4d4a-b4bb-bc183e9fe26d
Threads teachers Amber Lineweaver and Scott Harris pose in their 1920’s getup.

Students were exposed to a wide variety of activities during the party that made the 1920’s come to life: a fashion show, dancing competition, Pin the Cigar on the Gangster, Cup-and-Ball, gambling, and more.

“The party never had a dull moment and was a lot of work too with all of the research and poster making. It was really fun getting to see everyone dressed up and taking on the role of a famous celebrity during that time,” commented Lawrence Miraflores. “I honestly thought it wasn’t going to be that fun, but it was awesome. It was a great job from the American Threads class.”

“I thought that the 1920’s party was an excellent alternative to a standard written final that most classes do,” commented Mr. Harris, the American Threads history teacher. That form of testing is out of date and I hope more classes transition to this more modern form.”

The Sentinel • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Sentinel Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *