Boys basketball expands to fourth team

For the first time, Northgate will have four boys basketball teams, bringing the number of participants in boys basketball close to 60. The new frosh-soph, 13-member team joins the freshman, junior varsity and varsity teams.

“For the 20 or so years I’ve been around Northgate, I’ve never seen one (frosh-soph basketball team),” said Vice Principal Ben Campopiano, the administrator who oversees sports.

Just like the name sounds, it will be a team consisting of both sophomores and freshman who did not make the cuts for the junior varsity or freshman teams and who wish to continue to develop their skills. Campopiano explained that the team was implemented to accommodate the high number of students trying out for the boys team, and that it will compete against other schools with a similar team.

“This season is really for getting us prepared for one of the upper class teams and if anyone gets hurt, they can pull from our team,” said freshman player Aidan Morrill.

“I want to improve my basketball skills and do whatever I can to make it to JV team next year,” said freshman Matthew Wade.

Meanwhile, the varsity team, now in an easier division of the Diablo Athletic League (DAL), hopes to bounce back from several rough seasons and win some games. It will be coach Ron Pangilinan’s second season with the team. After struggling last season in the Foothill Division of the DAL, they were moved into the Valley Division. The team will have experience playing together, as it consists of many returning players. “We’re going to do a lot better. I don’t think we are going to lose in our new division,” said senior Carson Cropper.

Over the holiday break, the team traveled south to San Diego Dec, 26-30 to play in the Surf and Slam tournament. “They have always taken road trips over the break for tournaments over break, but this is the first time they travel out of the Bay Area to go to one,” said Campopiano.

With most of the season ahead, Northgate basketball looks to have a comeback season.

“This season is different because we have connected as a team better and with a change in league,we see a better chance of winning,” said senior Peter Michaels.

The Sentinel • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Sentinel Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *