The Newspaper of Northgate High

The Sentinel

Girls soccer makes first NCS appearance

Despite losing to Livermore High School during the NCS finals on Feb. 25, the team still made it to NCS for the first time ever with a league record of 8-0-2 and finished it second place.

Joanna Floyd

Joanna Floyd

Will Reutter, Staff Writer

While some Northgate sports teams struggled to consistently compete in the new Diablo Athletic League this season, the women’s varsity soccer team has been breaking down barriers as the first Northgate women’s soccer team to make the North Coast Section finals. They faced off against Livermore on Saturday, Feb. 25.

As in any other high pressure game, the atmosphere in the Dublin High School Stadium was electric. Since the game was played at a neutral field, fan attendance was expected to have a huge impact. Fortunately for the Broncos, an impressive amount of Northgate students, teachers, and parents made the trip to Dublin to support the team.

“I have friends on the team,” junior, and junior varsity soccer player, Regan Hadfield said, “I know how big an accomplishment it is to make the finals so I never thought twice about driving to Dublin to show my support.”

Although Livermore scored early, the game was anything but over. The rest of the 80 minutes were a battle with chances to score on both sides of the field.

The game itself lived up to its anticipation. With two goals within the last five minutes of the game, the spectators definitely got the show they payed for. Livermore scored about 20 minutes into the first half with a strong shot from beyond the 18 yard box.

The equalizing goal came off of a corner kick, where the Broncos capitalized on a mistake made by Livermore. Set up with a header by Colette Cardinale, Payton Mannie was in the right place at the right time and was able to finish the play clinically with another header.

“It gave the crowd hope,” said junior and varsity soccer player Ivan Ostapenko. “After being down most of the game and coming back to tie, the whole visiting bleachers were screaming.”

The moments following the goal were filled with a sense of accomplishment, as well as the anticipation of extra time. That was the case until the last two minutes, when Livermore scored off of a corner kick.

That goal exemplifies both the beauty and hardship that is soccer. A team could be winning the entire game and concede two goals to lose with startling ease.

In the case of Men’s Varsity soccer, to battle at 0-0 for the entire game and lose on a questionable missed offsides call in golden goal shows the brutal nature of the sport.

After a tough loss, the bleachers felt heavy with disappointment, but the thrill of the game remained. Nonetheless, the team felt proud of their accomplishments.

“After such a historic season my senior year, it was definitely a heartbreaking loss; but I was still so proud of us for making it to the finals for the first time in school history as well as winning league and having an overall record of 20-3-3,” senior and varsity player Kaleigh Finney shared.