Sophomores propose and present plans to change the world

Gillian Maraccini, Staff Writer

If sophomores could change the world, we would have gender and racial equity, clean beaches, a pollution-free environment and more support to Syrian refugees. These are some of the dozens of topics sophomores tackled as part of a World History school-wide project.

The class of 2020 started the new tradition for sophomore classes by completing the “If I Could Change the World” project, introduced this year by World History teachers. Requirements included individual and group research, essays, and culminated with an evening presentation that drew hundreds of parents and students to campus Feb. 22 during Open House.

Luke Saunders presented on suicide awareness, saying “it’s a topic that is very important and relevant in today’s world. I am doing this to expose things that need to be changed and ways we can make this world better.”

Isabella Molnar’s project is about making the world less greedy. “I chose this because without greed we would live in total peace. People wouldn’t be starving, homeless, or killing each other over money,” she said.
Sophomores had different reactions to hearing they were the first round of students to be doing this project.

“I actually didn’t know we were the first to do this project. It wasn’t really difficult you just have to put in the time to help those who need it,” said Molnar.

Though students say there are still a few kinks to sort out as the years go by.

“I think this is a great project, but there are a lot of parts to it and it’s a lot to handle at times,” said Scott Hazarian, who researched Educational Access.

On the night of Open House, halls were filled with posters as students proudly introduced their issues in small groups.

“The presentation day was fun. I wish it was a little shorter though. I think it was effective,” Enrique Yokoyama said. “We got the word out to people about major problems that can be solved with their help. The best part was being able to present with my friends and get the word out on how people can help.”

World history teachers Brian Corbett, Lauren Lahey, Paula Dillon, and Jen Krnich organized and guided their students through the project, and plan to do it again.

“The students were outstanding,” Lahey said. “They stepped up to the challenge and succeeded beyond anything we could have imagined.”