LimeBikes: A free first ride…and they make study breaks more fun

Zach Mora

Senior Katie MacCormac rides a LimeBike around the student drop-off and pick-up zone in early February.

Gillian Maraccini, Staff Writer

There is nothing fun about sitting at Starbucks with my laptop open and multiple papers spread across the table, editing my Senior Paper that is due the next day.

A friend and I had been finishing up every little correction on our papers in order to meet the deadline, desperate to do just about anything else once we finished. Across from our shaded table outside, we saw a row of beckoning bright green bikes labeled LimeBikes. Editing put on hold, we packed up and decided to give them a whirl.

First step, download the free app. From there it gave us instructions on how to proceed, making it as simple as could be. After I scanned the QR code on my chosen bike, it unlocked and the fun began.

The bikes are easy ride or adjust and come with a basket and a phone mount. With phones secured, we set off, each on our own.

Walnut Creek launched its first LimeBike program in January with 500 bikes delivered to the Shadelands Business Park off of Ygnacio Valley Boulevard. According to their website,

“Lime aims to provide a sustainable solution to the first and last mile transportation problem by helping people move around their cities in an affordable and convenient way while eliminating their carbon footprint. We are here to empower future generations to change their behavior so we can save this planet together.”

As I peddled to help save the planet, there was no chance of getting lost as my route lit up on my phone: up Via Monte, down Shadelands Drive and across Lennon Lane, the Limebike app tracked my route by GPS and provided other useful information such as calories burned, time peddling, and distance traveled.

Although I returned to my starting location, I could have dropped it off anywhere with the bike relocking at the end of the ride. In the end, I burned 100 calories over a two-mile ride in 28 minutes, enjoying every second. In fact, the free first ride saved me the dollar or two so I put that toward another  caramel macchiato at Starbucks.

Once seated, I realized that a bike ride is much more fun than sitting at Starbucks with my laptop open and multiple papers spread across the table, editing my Senior Paper that is due the next day.