Rosie Reid wins teacher of the year

Sophia Pinto, Staff Writer

English teacher Rosie Reid recently won the California Teacher of the Year award. This comes after earning the Mt. Diablo Unified School District and Contra Costa County top teacher awards.

In the spring, Reid will go to Washington D.C. for the Teacher of the Year Competition.

“I will be be speaking about representation in literature,” stated Reid, as she believes that students should read more books written by people of color in the curriculum.

“This will create a better system of equity in schools,” claimed Reid. “As successful students should not be based on their economic background, language, or gender identity.”

In her class, she promotes diverse literature such as “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings” which is a memoir by Maya Angelou who speaks about growing up as a black woman in America.

The ceremony for California Teacher of the Year was held at the Hilton.

“The ceremony was really cool. The room was packed with educators and Rohith Moolakatt and I spoke to present Ms. Reid,” claimed senior Ellora Easton.

Among four other nominees, Reid ended up winning the award of California Teacher of the Year with four other teachers. She was designated to represent California in Washington D.C.

“I am very glad Ms. Reid won because she is an excellent teacher who incorporates relevant social issues into her English teaching,” stated senior Ellora Easton.