How to help victims of the California fires

Sophia Pinto, Staff Writer

Northgate High School was unexpectedly closed Nov.16 due to the smoke from the California wildfires. The air quality was reported to be one of the worst in the world in places near the fire, and school officials cancelled the Friday leading into Thanksgiving break. Students got the news of the closure of school on Thursday November 15, 2018 at 1:43pm via text from Mt. Diablo School District.

“It was nice to start break early but at the same time we have to think about all the victims of the fires,” said senior Aava Farhadi.

The recent northern and southern California wildfires have been the most destructive fires recorded in California’s history. More than 14,000 residences have been destroyed or damaged by the fire and 85 people have died. Many of the victims have resorted to shelters or outdoor camping due to the loss of their homes.

There are many ways that we can help the victims of these wildfires. For example, “GoFundMe” pages have opened for fire relief campaigns for the victims affected by the fire.  If you would like to help the firefighters, you can donate to California Fire Donation Centers.

Another way to help is donating your blood to Red Cross in Concord or Pleasant Hill. The quantity of blood becomes more in demand when there is a substantial amount needed.

Lastly, many animals have also been affected by the fires. To help them, you can donate to the Humane Society of Ventura County and the Los Angeles County Animal Care Foundation in Southern California or the North Valley Animal Disaster Group.

If you know anybody affected by the fires, the United Way of Northern California is offering cash grants to survivors.

Northgate is also doing a donation drive for the victims of the Camp Fire which is being run by CSF. Students can drop items in their third period classes and will be collected on the 14th of December.