A new year brings a new administrator: Northgate welcomes VP Rosecrans

Sentinel Staff

Vice Principal Tyler Rosecrans joined Northgate’s administrative team this year. He oversees students with last names M-Z and is the administrative contact for sports, among other responsibilities.

Mariajose Rivera, Staff Writer

The start of a new year always means new faces on campus, and this year was no exception, especially since the freshman and sophomore classes are all new to Northgate.

One new arrival seems to be everywhere in a day – from classrooms to library to outdoor lunch areas and finally, to the administrative offices upstairs. This is Vice Principal Tyler Rosecrans. 

He left Pine Hollow Middle School in September to join the administrative team of Principal Kelly Cooper and Vice Principal Kara Ravina. Here is what Rosecrans had to share with The Sentinel:

Q: What is your educational background?

A: I went to Cal State East Bay, graduated with a liberal studies degree and then went and got my teaching credential at Brandman University. I got my modern to severe credential to help students with special needs and then I went back to school a few years later to Cal State East Bay and that’s where I got my Masters and Administrative Credential.

Q: What other schools have you worked at?

A: Before coming to Mt. Diablo Unified I was in San Ramon Valley Unified and I worked at Golden View Elementary and then I worked at Bollinger Canyon Elementary and that’s where I was a teacher. So I taught moderate at one school and then at Bollinger Canyon. I taught intensive students ranging from grades one through five with special needs. It was awesome – I loved it but as I grew I wanted to make a bigger impact and so I got the job at Pine Hollow Middle School under Mr. (Ben) Campopiano (previously a teacher and vice principal at Northgate). Then this year this Northgate job popped up and I got really excited and wanted to go for it.

Q: How did you end up at Northgate?

A: I ended up at Northgate just by luck … everything kind of worked out. I used to coach soccer in Walnut Creek Surf Soccer Club and I know a lot of kids who have come through here and they all talk about how great Northgate is, how inclusive it is, how there’s a program for everybody. I’ve had kids who did drama, music, sports the whole shebang and so like I said, when the job popped up I got really excited I applied and luckily they let me work here.

Q: What do you like most about Northgate?

A: The variety of programs. There’s really something here for everybody. Homecoming was great – it had literally something for everybody. There was a video game thing, food trucks, the carnival games, air hockey, dance, henna tattoos, and so I think that event really exemplifies what Northgate is. No matter what you’re into you can find it and I also think that the staff here is awesome and they do a really good job of supporting every student to find their passion and then also explore that passion. I go into (drama teacher) Mr. Litten’’s area in terms of stage production and I’m just amazed by the things that are created. And I hear bands all the time and they are wonderful. So yeah, I think there’s just so much that I can barely keep track. 

Q: What are you looking forward to this school year?

A: I’m looking forward to getting to know students, getting to know the staff. Seeing all the great things they do in their classrooms, whether it’s Mock Congress, club events coming up, and just finding out what goes on – I’ll see how I can help improve it, probably just some tweaks because everything runs really smoothly here.

Q: Do you have any hobbies?

A: My hobbies right now are just spending time with my family. I have twin 3-year-olds so I try to spend as much time with them, go to the park doing different events. And also spending time with my newly born daughter. So, spending time with them and my wife and my family and finding different kid events are my hobbies.

Q: Fun facts?

A: Fun facts are that I’m a parent of twins, I’ve got a busy house with now three kids. I used to coach soccer in Walnut Creek. I really enjoy sports, I’m a big Chelsea soccer club fan, rivals to (math teacher) Mr. Tobin. I love watching soccer and watching all the sports. I love the Warriors.