Nobel Prize winner to speak at Baccalaureate

Mary Hain l Special to the Sentinel

Northgate students Ben Lugten, David Bronstien, and Bailey Luttrell pose with Professor Randy Schekman in his Berekley office.

Bailey Luttrell, Staff Writer

Seniors will hear from a world-acclaimed UC Berkeley research scientist next month when he visits Northgate, but they won’t be taking notes from a science lecture. The professor will impart words of wisdom and advice to the Class of 2015 as they get ready to graduate.

Professor Randy Schekman, an esteemed cell biologist at UC Berkeley and winner of the Nobel prize in 2013 for his work in cell biology, will be the guest speaker at the Baccalaureate on June 7. The Baccalaureate is a time of reflection for graduates and families with student speakers, a keynote speaker, music and refreshments.

Dr. Schekman’s research included the discovery of machinery regulating vesicle traffic, a major transport system in our cells. In simpler terms, he discovered a part of the human cell that regulates the transport of proteins in and out of the cell.

Parent and Baccalaureate organizer Mary Hain contacted Cal asking the professor and researcher if he would be willing to be the guest speaker.

Hain also arranged a March 31 visit for two seniors looking to pursue a future in the sciences, as well as a Sentinel reporter, to meet with the research professor at his office during a visit to Cal’s Li Ka Shing Biomedical and Health Sciences Center at UC Berkeley, the campus’ $40 million science research center that was dedicated in October 2011.

“Getting to visit Professor Schekman and his laboratory was an awesome experience,” said David Bronstein after the visit. “Being at the site where some of the biggest breakthroughs in biology have occurred was very inspiring.”

Bronstein and Ben Lugten, who also met with the professor, will attend UC Davis after graduation, Bronstein to study biochemical engineering and Lugten to study molecular biology. The two responded to a science department announcement and were selected for the visit. They were treated to a tour of Schekman’s lab where they saw undergrad and graduate students at work and conducting experiments. They also got to talk with Schekman for about 30 minutes.

Schekman discusses his job with a group of Northgate students.
Mary Hain l Special to the Sentinel 

“I thought it was really interesting to be able to meet someone who is so well known and successful,” Lugten said. “Being able to hear first hand what he studies and what discovered was really inspiring. The overall experience really helped me understand what I want to do with my career.”

With broad experience including biochemistry, genetics, and molecular biology, Schekman is an ideal representation of how hard work pays off. He attended UCLA and Stanford University. Long removed from his studies, he recalled his decision-making process as he left high school.

“When I was growing up, there was no question I’d go to college but the idea that I would go to some fancy private school was simply out of the question so it never even dawned on me,” Schekman said.

“And now, it’s become such an obsession, it’s ridiculous. Some of these most selective private schools are proud of the fact that they reject most of the students. They actually encourage you to apply so that they can appear to be more selective. It’s a complete racket.”

Schekman also had some advice for all who are contemplating the next step after high school.

“I think that at this point for high school seniors the most important thing is to pick a place that you’re comfortable at, not a place that you are going to be panicked because of the competition,” he said. “You’ve got to be at a place where you’re in a pack rather than just clawing in.”

Asked if he thinks if there are enough high school students entering the sciences, Schekman said he believes there is concern regarding students in science for the overall higher education system, but not necessarily at Cal.  “I wish that it was more generally true – I get worried that we don’t have enough students going into science.”

Although winning the Nobel prize is considered to be one of the most respected awards ever, Professor Schekman had a surprising response when asked which of his achievements he is most proud of. His answer had nothing to do with his career. “Raising two kids who have managed to navigate life successfully would be my most important achievement,” he said, adding that they both went to public universities.

Does he have any career regrets?

“I’m pretty happy with what’s happened,” he said. “Maybe I shouldn’t have spent my entire academic life in California and gone and seen something else. But California is a nice place so I have no regrets.”

Hain, the parent who extended the invitation to Schekman and organized the student visit to Cal, is thrilled Schekman agreed to speak here.

“Dr. Schekman is not only one of the most popular professors at UC Berkeley, he is also a product of California’s higher education system,” Hain said. “He is passionate in his commitment to learning and sharing knowledge. We wanted to commemorate the Baccalaureate’s 40th anniversary with an extraordinary speaker who could inspire our seniors to go out and change the world.”

For more information or to help with the Baccalaureate, go to Northgate’s website or contact Mary Hain at [email protected].