Hair dye? More like hair alive!

Bailey Luttrell, Feature Editor

Everyday as we walk through the halls, we observe our surroundings; we acknowledge our friends, read things plastered on the walls, inspect each other’s backpacks, fashion choices, and of course, hair.balayagegreen

A person’s hairstyle is considered to be a defining factor of one’s personality. Many assume that the girl with her hair in a ponytail with a headband is sporty, the girl with her hair straightened or curled is stylish, the guy who has long hair skates, and the guy with a buzz cut is a jock. Stereotypes are everywhere and nearly unavoidable in high school. But if people are constantly generalized by their hair, what category do those with wildly colored hair fall under?

Over the summer, I made the decision to cut off 10 inches of my hair and donate it to Locks of Love, a charity that collects hair and creates hairpieces for children with cancer. Along with this, I completed an item on my bucket list by dyeing a majority of my hair bright pink. This is something I have wanted to do since I was a child.

Having your hair dyed can be used as a form of self expression, for style, for making a statement, or anything you want really. However, some parts of society are quick to label people by their hair with common terms meant to be offensive like “goth.”

pastel-pinkWhen I sent my first snapchat with pink hair, many of my friends were quick to respond and say things like “you’re so goth” or “you look like a mom.” Just because my hair is pink, it doesn’t mean I am a goth. Maybe it hasn’t occurred to some people that lots of humans like to dye their hair their favorite color because they like the way it looks or because they’re bored with the same old neutral colors. And because I cut off ten inches of hair, it was barely off my shoulder. This was a big change, and a few of my friends gave me the nickname “mom.” So apparently having short hair makes you look like a mom?

So with this narrative, I leave you with this message: don’t let others control what you do. Go dye your hair your favorite color or cut it off and donate it to charity. Wear those tye dye pants or that funny shirt, because who cares what you’re labeled. The only opinion that matters at the end of the day is your own.