Freshman QB shines

Freshman QB shines

Francesco Lavecchia, Staff Writer

Starting quarterback on any football team is one of the most coveted positions in sports. They are constantly in the spotlight and under pressure from coaches, receivers, tight ends, and perhaps most importantly the fans.

High school starting quarterbacks are usually juniors or seniors, who have worked their way up the ranks, growing with their teammates along the way.

However, this year the Northgate coaches went against that commonality, naming Jack Fulp, a freshman, the starting quarterback.

“I was very surprised and did not really see it coming,” Fulp said,

From practicing with the best players to being in control during the biggest games, Fulp says it takes a great amount of responsibility, and he has adjusted to the position strongly and smoothly.

“It’s not as different as I thought it would be,” Fulp said. “There are lots of older guys pushing you to do better but it has not been as different as I was expecting.”

player_mediumSenior David Siale said it was an adjustment at the beginning, but it has gone well. “At first he was a decent quarterback, but over this whole season he has gotten really good and progressed as a leader as well,” Siale stated.

For the football team however, it has not been much of an adjustment.

“With the change he has actually helped us be able to throw the ball down the field more to guys like Dylan Alves and Edwin Flores. He adds another aspect to our game and gives us another athlete on the field,” head coach Ben Ballard said.

Fulp played up to his high standards this year, throwing for over 1000 yards and 13 touchdowns. He lead Northgate to a 6-5 record, going 3-2 in league play. Northgate had a great season, placing third in league and receiving an #11 seed in NCS. There season ended after a first round loss to Mario Carillo.

“I’m proud of how Jack progressed during the season and I can’t wait to see him succeed in the years to come,” Kyle Zagon said.