Bella Voce gets a second chance for choreographed virtual singing performance

DRAA/screenshot

Bella Voce performs “Light of a Clear Blue Morning,” by Dolly Parton, as part of a countywide virtual singing festival organized by the Diablo Regional Arts Association.

Mia Allyson Montifar, Staff Writer

Bella Voce singers got a chance for a virtual performance after a few students were inadvertently left out of the November videoed show.

Eight high schools including Northgate participated in a countywide virtual singing concert sponsored by the Diablo Regional Arts Association before Thanksgiving break. The event allowed these students an opportunity to perform in a countywide musical event.

However, as previously reported by The Sentinel, the concert wasn’t without errors and through technical difficulties, a few Bella Voce members’ videos were not a part of the final concert, in which the group performs “Light of a Clear Blue Morning”, by Dolly Parton. The DRAA, which sponsored and organized the event, heard about the omission and requested the missing students’ videos. The organizers remade the Bella Voce video in January to include everyone, to the pleasure of all involved.

“It was super generous of them to do it,” said choir teacher Geoff Carter. “The whole thing is beautiful. They sent it back to me and I got it and I’ve been able to share it with the girls and it’s super cool.”

The group’s performance is available at  Northgate Bella Voce • Light of a Clear Blue Morning • High School Notes 2020

Music professional Deke Sharon, known producing in Pitch Perfect and for NBC’s “The Sing-Off” professionally synthesized the individual student recordings into blended masterpieces, inserting creative visual graphics.

The overall performance, High School Notes: A Digital A Cappella Concert, also includes the Northgate Madrigals, debuted online on Nov. 20 and the video recording is still available on YouTube by clicking here or on the Diablo Regional Arts Association’s channel. Kaiser Permanente was the title sponsor of the project and several local organizations also supported this program including Walnut Creek Downtown, the Lesher Foundation, and the Contra Costa County Office of Education.

Editor’s note: A first version of this article appears Dec. 9, 2020.