A day of firsts: First student to class; first day of in-person school; first year at Northgate

Sentinel Staff

Freshman Peyton Judd is the first one to arrive in his class Monday March 29, which marked the first day of in-person school.

There was nothing about Peyton Judd that indicated he was hesitant as a new freshman when he arrived to his first class on campus Monday March 29. He walked in confidently, wearing red and gold Northgate swag and with a smile. The class of 2024 freshman was the first of 18 students to arrive in room 44 on the first day of in-person learning for the 2020-2021 school year.  Judd had already attended Northgate for about 125 days in virtual classes. But now he, along with some 500 other students, are attending afternoon classes two days a week, as students arrive for a Monday-Tuesday or Thursday-Friday afternoon class with one of their existing morning teachers. “It feels great seeing friends pass by in the halls and to talk to one another,” said Judd. “It’s also great seeing one of my favorite teachers, Mrs. Jenkins, as well.” Students not at school afternoons are attending an afternoon class two days a week online, just as students do for their period A and one through six morning classes. Judd  is also a member of the boys junior varsity basketball team, which has been practicing for two weeks, including early practices in the gym before school.